The purpose of this site is to provide interesting information on all aspects of the ancient Norse people known as the Vikings. This site was written in such a style that both kids and adults will enjoy. You will find information on how these medieval Norsemen became the most successful warriors and explorers of the Middle Ages. There are many pages listing facts that cover such topics as Viking history, exploration, mythology, weapons, famous Vikings, gods, goddesses, the ancient Norse alphabet consisting of Runes, Runestones, and much more.
Viking Facts Found on this Website
- Who were the ancient Vikings?
- Information about Runestones.
- Who were the Viking gods and goddesses?
- Information on Viking weapons.
- Who were the most famous Vikings?
- What were the Viking longships?
- Information on games Vikings played.
- Learn about the Norse Sagas. One of our main sources of information about the Vikings.
- What is Norse jewelry and Viking jewelry and why do people today wear it?
- How were the Vikings able to discover America centuries before Christopher Columbus?
- What happened to the ancient Norsemen?
Facts about Who the Ancient Vikings WereThe ancient Vikings were amazing medieval people. They were expert sailors, explorers, and fierce warriors. For nearly three hundred years, during the Middle Ages, they terrorized large parts of Europe, sacking and burning costal towns with swift raids from their famed long boats. However they were much more than savage brutes. Below we have listed some facts about these people that may help you understand them a little better.
- The Vikings are famed for their sea voyages. These voyages began in their Scandinavian homelands which are modern day Denmark, Sweden, and Norway and went as far as Greenland, Iceland and even North America. In fact it was actually the Vikings and not Christopher Columbus who discovered America.
- Viking explorers reached as far as modern day Russia and Constantinople.
- The Vikings could read and write. Their alphabet was called runor and they used characters called runes.
- Most Vikings were not warriors they were farmers who grew crops for trade and their own consumption.
- These Norse people had a complex religion. They believed in many gods and goddesses with the chief god being Odin.
- In the little spare time they had they often played games. The most popular ancient Norse board game was Hnefatafl.
- The Viking era did not end suddenly like with a great battle and a surrender. The era came to a gradual end as these Norse people got absorbed into the large nations developing in Scandinavia and as they converted to Christianity.