Norse Gods and Goddesses IntroductionNorse Gods and Goddesses were clearly more than mere humans however they had many human qualities. The Vikings believed that like humans they experience love, pain, intrigue, and death.
Norse Gods and Goddesses are separated into two groups (see the list of Norse gods and goddesses below). The two groups that make up the Norse pantheon are the Vanir and the Aesir. Sometimes the Aesir Norse goddesses are referred to as Asynjur not Aesir. Norse mythology tells of a great war (the Aesir-Vanir war) that occurred between the two groups and how this resulted in the unification of the two groups. There is very little medieval literature about this mythological war leaving much open to debate and speculation.
Below is a list of Norse gods and goddesses with information on who each one was and how they fit into the Norse pantheon.
List of Norse gods and goddesses:
Aesir Gods and Goddesses List
- Odin - King of all the Norse gods and goddesses.
- Thor - Perhaps the most famous of all the Norse gods and goddesses. Odin's son and Sif's husband. Known as the thunder god. The strongest god.
- Frigg - The main Norse goddesses. Odin's wife and Balder's mother. She is the main Norse goddess.
- Tyr - He is a war god and is Odin's son. The god of single combat. He has one hand.
- Loki - The son of two giants he is a trickster. Norse mythology explains how he leads the giants in their victory against the gods in the final battle of Ragnarok.
- Mirmir - A Wise god. Sent to arrange the truce between the Vanir and Aesir gods.
- Forseti - He is the son of Balder and Nanna and is the god of reconciliation and justice.
- Aegir - God of the sea and seashore. He lives in the sea near the island of Hlesey. Known as a hospitable god.
- Heimdall - This Viking god possesses the horn Gjallarhorn, has gold teeth, and has a horse with a golden mane named Gulltoppr. He is the son of nine mothers.
- Ull - Thors stepson. He possessed warrior attributes. Famous for his marksmanship. He was extremely quick on skis and snowshoes.
- Sif - Thors wife. This Norse goddess is associated with the earth.
- Bragi - Odin's son. God of eloquence and poetry. Idun's husband.
- Idun (or Induna) - Married to Bragi. Guardian of the golden apples of youth.
- Balder - Odin and Frigg’s son. He was a wise and gentle god. Accidentally killed by his brother Hod.
- Ve - This ancient Scandinavian god was Odin and Vili’s brother.
- Vili - Odin and Ve's brother.
- Vidar - Son of Odin and the giantess Grid. Considered to be a strong and silent god.
- Hod - Son of Odin. He is blind. He accidentally kills his brother Balder.
- Ran - Wife of Aegir. It is written that this Norse goddess tried to capture sailors with a net.
- Hel – This Norse goddess is ruler of the realm of the dead (Helheim).
Vanir Gods and Goddesses List
- Njord - Freyja and Freyr's father and Skadi's husband. He is associated with the wind and sea.
- Freyr - An Important god. Son of Njord and brother of Freyja. Associated with farming and weather.
- Freyja - Daughter of Njord and sister of Freyr. She is the main goddess of the Vanir. Associated with love, beauty, and fertility.
- Skade (or Skaoi) - She is the goddess of Winter and of the Hunt.
- Nanna - Accounts of Nanna vary.